Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Surprise!

I fully expected to be in the southern California or Arizona desert by now, but life, as the worn-out cliché says, had other plans.  The same week of my retirement, my mother became quite ill.  She was physically weaker and her already poor memory had faltered considerably.  The first clue was that she forgot to take her medications for three days.  Until then, she’d always been very careful and conscientious about this. 

My plan had been to drive up to Issaquah to spend Christmas with the family on December 23rd or 24th, then head south on my trip before New Year’s Day.  Instead, I went up on the 20th and stayed until the 26th or 27th (it’s been a bit of a blur).  The short story is that Mom was diagnosed with an inflamed gallbladder.  It got to the point that she couldn't keep down food, water or medications.  We decided to call 911 the evening of January 11.  After a few hours in the emergency room, she was admitted to Swedish Hospital, where she spent four nights.  Given her advanced age and atrial fibrillation, the surgeon recommended against surgical removal.  She had a tube inserted to drain fluid from the gallbladder and continued her antibiotics.  She was released to a skilled nursing and rehabilitation facility.  This made her very, very unhappy.  Her spirits improved and she’s done quite well with physical therapy.  She walks with a walker at a pace that I haven’t seen in years.  Don’t get me wrong, she’s not setting any records.  But she’s doing so much better.

In the five weeks since leaving work, I've spent three and a half in Issaquah.  I've been home since Saturday the 24th, standing by for the next development.


She will remain in rehab (love saying that) until at least February 2.  We all hope that she will be able to return to her condo.  If she does, she’ll get temporary home health services: nursing, physical and occupational therapy.  If not, then it’s assisted living.  The primary goal is to keep her safe and as healthy as possible.  My mother would very much like to be back in her home.  Another upheaval at this point of her life will be very difficult.  Given that, I will start my trip once things have stabilized, in whatever way that they do. 

Of course, this has given me much to think about, my own aging, mortality, etc.  I've known for some time that staying active and engaged is key to aging well.  I really hope to act on that and not just think it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment