Saturday, November 22, 2014

In Other Developments

There’s been a major development in the works over the past several weeks: retirement.  The short story is that my last day on the job is December 19.  I had to inform interested parties, namely my employer, before committing this news to internet immortality.  But now I can speak freely of it.

I have looked forward to retiring for many years, but only got very serious about making it happen earlier this year.  I've planned and saved for it all along, thinking that I’d retire at 62 when I could do so with my full (such as they are) federal benefits.  Though I’d determined that I could retire sooner and retain my annuity and healthcare coverage by deferring it until age 62, I was hesitant to do so because it would mean paying for the latter out-of-pocket.  When I actually calculated what it would cost (and it’s not insignificant), it seemed well worth the price of freedom.

Because… I am done.  Done with the alarm going off at 5:45.  Done with the commute.  Done with meetings.  Done with the bureaucracy.  Done with “process.”  Done with the cubicle.  Done with going along to get along.  Done with the bullshit.  Done.

I could rant more.  And I probably will.  You've been warned.

What it came down to is the realization that this life is short.  I mentioned friends, family and contemporaries dying in their 50’s.  Most made choices that ensured short lives.  I can delude myself into thinking that because I make good lifestyle choices; I will live well into my 80’s.  What made it very real was Bill Keane’s death, about a year ago.  He was a well-known and highly regarded epidemiologist at the Oregon Division of Public Health.  I knew him only by sight and reputation.  He was a healthy 56 years old, sure to continue his valuable contributions to food safety for many years to come.  Then, gallstones, pancreatic duct blockage, sepsis, death.  You can exercise, eat well, not smoke, drink in moderation and something can come along and kill your ass dead. 


I want to spend what time I have doing what I want to do.  I’m very (very) fortunate to have the health and resources to do so.  So, here goes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment