Monday, November 17, 2014

Repairs and modifications

Though the camper was in basically good condition when I purchased it, it has needed a few improvements.  With the help of my wizard brother-in-law, John Elmore, the camper is shaping up nicely.  To be clear, this is how we work together on projects: He does all the real work and I take on challenging tasks like bringing him beers and holding the flashlight.

As of this weekend, the camper has new pop-top struts.  This is important because it enables the pop-top to rise completely.  The old struts suffered from erectile dysfunction.  They just weren't up to the task….  Okay! I’ll stop.  As I was saying the pop-top no rises much more easily and will stay partially up, approximately 12 inches, while I tuck in the tent before bringing it completely down.

New struts, thank you GoWesty!

 

Other important modifications: a new CD player (gonna miss those cassettes) and a rear window shade. 
Here’s what else that’s been done to date:
Transmission fluid leak repaired
Transmission serviced
Rear brakes replaced
Coach battery replaced
Fresh water system filter replaced
Refrigerator serviced (now functional)
Sliding door adjusted, now closes easily every time
Rear seat/bed sliding mechanism repaired
VW logo re-attached to tailgate
New tires, Nokian Hakkapelitta CR3s (11/21)
Items purchased for the camper:
Hitch mounted bike rack


Camp chairs


Yes, it’s a bit of a laundry list.  More interesting stuff to come.

Oh, yeah.  I turned 60 today.  Damn.  I can’t help but feel a bit odd about that.  Basically, I’m happy to be healthy and in the position I’m in, no matter what my age is.  I was feeling a little sorry for myself, but then I remembered a couple of things: My mother’s KID turned 60.  That’s got to be an interesting feeling.  And—I have some friends and cousins who didn't make it to this landmark birthday.   So, yeah… I have plenty to be thankful for.


Here’s the rubber tramp at the Interstate 5 rest stop just south of Olympia.


No comments:

Post a Comment